Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Good Thing or a Bad Thing??

Well, I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but we bought a new refrigerator on Friday. Now let me tell you why I'm not so sure about it now (buyer's remorse???). On Wednesday of this last week our fridge started to make a funny noise and the freezer felt like it wasn't as cold as it usually is. By Thursday night, it was apparent that the freezer had stopped working... everything started to melt and defrost. I had water running out and all over the floor from melted ice and various meat drippings! YUCK!!! Thank goodness we have tile floors in the kitchen! Then the refrigerator side of the fridge started to cool off and the funny noise got worse. I was in a panic, as I had just gone to the grocery store and bought some much needed food, but only stuff for the refrigerator side cause of the freezer not working right. I'm thinking here goes $70.00 some odd dollars worth of food plus the cost to have the freezer fixed. It's the Chambers Curse, again! I'll tell you about that another time. Joe had Friday off, so he pulled out the manual for the fridge to see if it was anything he could fix. Did I tell you that Joe can usually fix anything, and if he can't that means it's really busted. He concluded that there are not that many parts to a refrigerator and if it was what he thought it was (the compressor) it would cost $$$ to fix, but just to be sure he called a repair service to talk to a repairman. Who then told him that "yes" it sounds like the compressor, which would be around $600.00 or so to fix! Yikes! We paid $800.00 for this fridge and thought that was a good deal. Now mind you, this fridge is only 6 yrs old! Joe was in one of those moods were he didn't want to mess with it and said to me "get dressed we going to look for a new refrigerator"! So off to Home Depot we went. We got prices and took notes and then hightailed it to Lowe's to check theirs out, this is called "How Joe shops" and I hate it! Because he is so meticulous and it usually a long and drawn out ordeal that almost always ends up with a "disagreement" between Joe and I. Joe decided he liked the one at Home Depot better, so .... I protested once too much and he took me home and went by himself to go buy it. While he was gone, I just happened to clean the back of the fridge and it started working again almost immediately! Cool air started blowing in again and the funny noise stopped. I guess that what you have to do with 5 animals and their fur always flying around this house!! Yeah, there was fur clinging to the back of the fridge and clogging the air-vent thingy, and of course, Joe didn't have his phone with him so I could call and let him know. By the time he got home I was sure the fridge was working alright again. We debated whether we should cancel the order or not. The new fridge wasn't to be delivered until Tuesday of this week. In the long run, the new fridge won out and the old one is going to Joe's sister! Who seems very excited to get it! Hers is 18yrs old. I feel sort of good about this decision... although 1. We really didn't need a new fridge, but this one is so much nicer. French doors, and freezer on the bottom! (I feel like I'm an official member of the disposable society, hey if it's broke don't fix it buy a new one!). 2. Joe's sister is getting a somewhat newer refrigerator, which is nicer than what she has. So, is it a win win situation for everyone, right???!!! I don't know, a little voice on one shoulder is telling me "we shouldn't be spending this kinda $$ with the economy the way it is", but then there's this other devilish voice that's sooo excited for this new fridge!!







Is it
a Good Thing or a Bad Thing???!! I'll let you know

2 comments:

  1. In the words of Martha Stewart Its a good thing! Now get that scary Halloween music off here! I just love your new fridge!

    ReplyDelete